Saturday, November 10, 2007

Genesis 46:1-34


Why hello there...I hope your having a great day this beautiful Saturday morning...Today we read through Genesis 46:1-34.

1So Israel set out with all that he had, and came to Beersheba, and offered sacrifices to the God of his father Isaac.
2God spoke to Israel in visions of the night and said, "Jacob, Jacob." And he said, "Here I am."
3He said, "I am God, the God of your father; do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for I will make you a great nation there.

6They took their livestock and their property, which they had acquired in the land of Canaan, and came to Egypt, Jacob and all his descendants with him:
7his sons and his grandsons with him, his daughters and his granddaughters, and all his descendants he brought with him to Egypt.

If you haven't read the rest of the story please click here

26All the persons belonging to Jacob, who came to Egypt, his direct descendants, not including the wives of Jacob's sons, were sixty-six persons in all,
27and the sons of Joseph, who were born to him in Egypt were two; all the persons of the house of Jacob, who came to Egypt, were seventy.


29Joseph prepared his chariot and went up to Goshen to meet his father Israel; as soon as he appeared before him, he fell on his neck and wept on his neck a long time.
30Then Israel said to Joseph, "Now let me die, since I have seen your face, that you are still alive."

33"When Pharaoh calls you and says, 'What is your occupation?'
34you shall say, 'Your servants have been keepers of livestock from our youth even until now, both we and our fathers,' that you may live in the land of Goshen; for every shepherd is loathsome to the Egyptians."

What? shepherds are loathsome to the Egyptians? Well what is that supposed to mean?

please join me in Monday's reading where this lovely phrase is explained...and I must add, wasn't it lovely to hear about Joseph and his father's greeting..."now that I have seen you I can die" ahhhhhh. And I also must add that in the beginning of our story today...we catch up to Israel who is praying...offering sacrifices to the Lord. In doing this he was directed by the Lord through a vision and told not to be afraid to go to Egypt. Israel worshiped and the Lord answered. Have you noticed some kind of pattern here...Worship the Lord and be directed!

As usual I will not be posting on Sunday to focus on what my pastor is teaching us but I will be reading Genesis 47:1-31 on Monday...Hope to see you then.

Enjoy your weekend.