Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Genesis 48:1-22

Welcome back and Happy Tuesday to you...Today we read through Genesis 48:1-22

1Now it came about after these things that Joseph was told, "Behold, your father is sick." So he took his two sons Manasseh and Ephraim with him.
2When it was told to Jacob, "Behold, your son Joseph has come to you," Israel collected his strength and sat up in the bed.
3Then Jacob said to Joseph, "God Almighty appeared to me at Luz in the land of Canaan and blessed me

If you haven't read today's reading click here...

Jacob's time was nearing the end and he asked the sons of Joseph to come closer. The older on the left and the younger on the right. Jacob them raised his right hand and blessed the younger son on the right...Joseph tried to stop him and he said he had made no mistake...for the younger son will be greater then the older one...he did bless them both.

15He blessed Joseph, and said,
"The God before whom my fathers Abraham and Isaac walked,
The God who has been my shepherd all my life to this day,
16The angel who has redeemed me from all evil,
Bless the lads;
And may my name live on in them,
And the names of my fathers Abraham and Isaac;
And may they grow into a multitude in the midst of the earth."


20He blessed them that day, saying,
"By you Israel will pronounce blessing, saying,
'May God make you like Ephraim and Manasseh!'"
Thus he put Ephraim before Manasseh.

21Then Israel said to Joseph, "Behold, I am about to die, but God will be with you, and bring you back to the land of your fathers.
22"I give you one portion more than your brothers,
which I took from the hand of the Amorite with my sword and my bow."

Hmmmm...So the younger one got the blessing instead of the older one...and did you see how displeased Joseph was about it...sounds a little familiar to me. Joseph received one more portion than the other brothers. Jacob was so happy not only to have seen his son Joseph but he was able to see his sons.

Please join me in tomorrow's reading of Genesis 49:1-33 where we learn about Israel's Prophecy concerning His Sons.

Have a wonderful day...