Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Genesis 18:1-33

Hello and welcome...Today we read Genesis 18:1-33.

Now today we learned that Abraham was sitting in the heat of the day and the Lord appeared to him..but when he looked up there were three men there. Abraham said "if only I had the best food the best water the best this and that ...then I would..." the Lord called him on this and said well what are you waiting for...so Abraham got the best calf , the best flour to make cakes etc...and when they were eating the men told him that Sarah would have a baby in one year...Sarah overheard this and laughed.

When they asked him why she laughed he said she was past her child bearing age...and they said is anything to difficult for the Lord?

The men then went down the road and Abraham sent them off and the Lord said..."should I hide what I am about to do?

20And the LORD said, "The outcry of Sodom and Gomorrah is indeed great, and their sin is exceedingly grave.
21"I will go down now, and see if they have done entirely according to its outcry, which has come to Me; and if not, I will know."
22Then the men turned away from there and went toward Sodom, while Abraham was still standing before the LORD.
23Abraham came near and said, "Will You indeed sweep away the righteous with the wicked?

We learned that Abraham spoke on their behalf..."surely there would be some that were righteous...would you sweep them all away even if there were 50?

The Lord said no I would spare them if there were 50 I would spare it on their account.

We then learn that Abraham barters with the Lord all the way down to 10 men...would you spare it for 10 men?

32Then he said, "Oh may the Lord not be angry, and I shall speak only this once; suppose ten are found there?" And He said, "I will not destroy it on account of the ten."

Then the Lord departed and Abraham returned to his place...

So what did we learn today...The baby was promised to Sarah even though she was so old and Abraham barters for the lives of the righteous.
This is interesting because when I pray sometimes I find myself bartering with the Lord over things...Is that all in the process of learning?

Please join me tomorrow when we read Genesis 19:1-38