Monday, October 15, 2007

Genesis 23:1-20

Today we read Genesis 23:1-20...

We learned that Abraham's wife Sarah dies and he mourns for her...when he is finished mourning...he stands up and asked if he could buy some land to bury her in and they say to him...

6Hear us, my lord: thou art a mighty prince among us: in the choice of our sepulchres bury thy dead; none of us shall withhold from thee his sepulchre, but that thou mayest bury thy dead

We learn that he persists and wants to buy land.
13And he spake unto Ephron in the audience of the people of the land, saying, But if thou wilt give it, I pray thee, hear me: I will give thee money for the field; take it of me, and I will bury my dead there.

The say that he owes them nothing but Abraham persists and pays 400 shekels of silver for the land.

19And after this, Abraham buried Sarah his wife in the cave of the field of Machpelah before Mamre: the same is Hebron in the land of Canaan.
20And the field, and the cave that is therein, were made sure unto Abraham for a possession of a burying place by the sons of Heth.

I often wonder how Sarah dies...the morbid side of me I'm sure...with all the csi shows etc...did she just die in her sleep? She was very old...But the Lord knows this about me and this part of the story does not matter...I often wondered though because he was soooo persistent about purchasing the land...I think I would feel better if I owned the land too and who knows maybe he wanted to make sure he had a place to be buried also? I am glad though that it does tell us that Abraham did mourn her...can you imagine being married for 100+ years and then being without your partner? Sad really...But she got to go and be with the Lord Almighty.

Please join me in tomorrow's reading of Genesis 24:1-67 Now this is a long one so make sure you have your coffee or tea in hand before you begin and set aside some real time to before you dive in...meet you back here tomorrow....and thank you so much for joining me...